Are you new to the game of Carrom? Then we got you covered. Here is a detailed guide on how to play Carrom. But, before we dive into the step-by-step process to play Carrom, let us give you a brief about what is Carrom?
Carrom Board Game
Carrom, also referred to as Karrom, is a popular indoor game board game that is believed to have originated in India in the 18th century. It is a game of accuracy and skill and is similar to a combination of air hockey and billiards while being much more compact and portable. In fact, in some parts of the world, it is also called figure billiards! Carrom has grown progressively over time, and there are now many clubs that hold competitions and tournaments. However, you can enjoy playing Carrom in a more relaxed setting like playing with family at a social event or with friends. Not only that, you can even play Carrom online with Carrom Ninja. The best part – you stand a chance to win up to 10 Lakhs!
How to play Carrom?
The game’s objective is to use your figure to flick the Striker at the Carromcoins/Carrommen so that it falls into any of the four corner pockets. The aim of the game is to pocket maximum carrommen with the Queen before your opponent.
At a time, four people can play Carrom. In a two-player game, players sit opposite each other. In a 4-players game, two teams are formed, where partners sit opposite each other and opponents sit on either side.
Step 1: Get Familiar with the carrom board pieces
The first step to learning how to play Carrom is to familiarize yourself with the symbols on the Carrom board and its pieces. In total there are 20 game pieces in Carrom:
- 18 Carrommen: Carrommen are circular pieces of wood or any other material which are colored in light and dark colors. Generally, the Carrommen are colored in black and white
- 1 Queen: which is the red-colored circular piece. It is considered the most valuable piece in Carrom
- 1 Striker: which is a circular piece that is used to push the Carrommen and the Queen across the board to the pocket
A Carrom board is a large wooden board that has a circular hole at the 4 corners of the board. A net is placed under each hole to catch the Carrommen. Each side of the Carrom board has two parallel lines on the board and a small circle at the end of the parallel lines. The board also has two concentric circles in the middle of the board.
Step 2: Start the game
The Carrom game begins with a toss where a player hides either a white or a black carrommen in his hands, and the player who calls it correctly wins. The player who wins the toss gets to strike first. Once it’s decided who will go first, one player arranges the Carrom board. Each Carrom board has 9 light color carrommen, 9 dark color carrommen, 1 Striker, and 1 Queen.
Place the Queen (the red piece) in the center of the Carrom board (within the same circle in the center of the board), and arrange the remaining light and dark pieces around the Queen within the large circle. The white and black carrommen are placed alternately in a circular formation.
Step 3: Strike the Carrom game pieces
The player striking first should strike in one go and position the Striker on the baseline. The baselines are the parallel lines that run along the four sides of the board. It is considered a foul if the player jerks the Striker or the board when striking.
Here are fundamental rules that you need to keep in mind while striking:
- The Striker must touch both the baselines
- You can strike by placing the Striker in the center of the circle at the end of the lines; otherwise, it should not touch the circle at all
- The Striker should not be touching the diagonal lines in the corners
The player can use their index or middle finger to strike, whichever is comfortable. If the carrommen you are aiming for is behind the Striker from your seated position, you can shoot backward.
The goal of the Carrom game is to earn points and win by pocketing carrommen. The player who strikes first plays with light carrommen and attempts to pocket them. If the player misses pocketing the light carrommen or pockets the dark carrommen, they do not get any points, and the Striker is passed to the opponent’s player. The player’s turn will continue as long as they pocket their own color carrommen by striking them into one of the corner pockets.
Cover the Queen
After the player pockets at least one of his carrommen, they can go after the Queen. To cover the Queen, the player has to pocket his carromman after pocketing the Queen. If the Queen is not covered, it is returned to the center of the board.
Note: The Queen is covered if the player pockets a carrommen on the same shot when they pocket the Queen.
Step 4: Win the Game
Once the queen is covered, whoever pockets all their carrommen wins the board. The player who won gets one point for each opponent’s pieces that remain on the board. If the player pockets the Queen, they get 3 points. However, if the player who won the board did not cover the queen, no-one gets those points. The game of Carrom consists of 25 points or eight boards, whichever comes first.
If a player pockets opponents’ carrommen, it will lead to a loss of turn. Moreover, if the player pockets opponent’s last piece, they lose three points. If the player pockets the Striker instead of a carrommen they lose their turn and one carrommen.
Note: If the player pockets Carrommen and the Striker in one go, one Carrommen is placed in the center of the board, and the player gets to go again.
Now that you know how to play Carrom let us introduce you to its online gameplay.
Carrom Board Online – Play Carrom Ninja by Zupee
Zupee brings to you Carrom Ninja, an online version of your classic Carrom board game, where you can play and win real cash. The game’s objective remains the same as the classic Carrom, i.e., to use the striker at the token so that it falls into any of the four corner pockets. However, the aim of the Carrom Ninja game is slightly different.
When you play Carrom Ninja, your aim is to earn maximum points within limited moves! Moreover, only two players can play Carrom Ninja at a time.
Carrom Board Online – Rules
Here are some basic rules to play Carrom board online on Carrom Ninja:
- Can be played by only 2 players. Both players get 8 moves each.
- Each move must be played within 30 seconds, after which an additional 30s time bank can be used. However, the additional time bank of 30sec is for the entire game.
Beware: If you run out of 30sec in your time bank, you will land out of the game.
- There are 19 tokens and the token value determines the points earned. Any player can pocket any token.
- There is no additional move even if a player pockets the token.
- Tokens once pocketed will not come back on the board.
- There is no foul if the Striker is pocketed.
- Earn maximum points to win the game
Let us take a look at how to play Carrom Ninja in 4 simple steps!
Step 1: Get Familiar with the Carrom board and pieces
Like the classic game, you need to get familiar with the board and pieces of Carrom Ninja. In total there are 20 game pieces in Carrom Ninja:
- 19 tokens: They are circular pieces that are automatically placed in the center of the board once the game starts. All tokens are marked with a number, which equals the number of points that a player can earn. For example, if you pocket token 3, you get 3 points.
- 1 Striker: A blue-colored striker is used to pocket the tokens
There is no Queen in Carrom Ninja.
Here is what the board will look like:
Step 2: Start the Game
To start the game, you need to pick out a format available. There are 2 formats from which you can choose. You can play Carrom Ninja for free or pay an entry fee as low as 1 INR.
Once you have chosen the format, you can start the game. To ensure that no player gets an advantage, the first shot that breaks the token formation on the board is by default. After, this both players play alternatively.
Step 3: Strike the Carrom game pieces
To strike the Carrom game pieces, follow these steps:
- Adjust the position of the striker, by moving the slider that is below the Carrom board. You can adjust the slider based on which token you want to pocket
- Drag the striker up/down to adjust the power of the striker
- Use the arrow to set the aim and take the shot
Step 4: Win the Game
If you earn maximum points within the 8 moves, then you win the game. How do you earn maximum points? Well, there are two ways:
- Pocket higher valued tokens to maximize your score. In fact, the top three higher value tokens will be even highlighted in the game. So, don’t miss out on your chance to pocket them.
- Take the advantage of the 3X multiplier round. There is a 3X multiplier round which comes randomly in the game only once. In this round, you will get 3X points for any token that you pocket. For example, if you pocket token number 5, you will get 5×3, i.e. 15 points. Similarly, if you pocket token number 19, you will get 19×3, i.e. 57 points.
After 8 moves, the player who has maximum points will win the game. If you play the entry fee format, you have the chance to win more than what you paid for. Once the game ends, the prize money goes to the player with maximum points.
So, what are you waiting for? Play online Carrom on Carrom Ninja!
Classic Carrom board vs. Carrom board online – Gameplay
Here’s a table to quickly understand the difference between the classic Carrom board and Carrom board online:
|Carrom board play – Classic||Carrom board online|
|Maximum 4 players can play, where two teams are formed||Only 2 players can play|
|The game ends when any player pockets all their carrommen and the queen||The game ends after 8 moves by each player|
|Each player/team gets 9 carrommen to pocket||There are 19 tokens that a player can pocket. Any player can pocket any token|
|Player earns maximum points to pocket Queen||There is no Queen in Carrom. Players can earn maximum points by pocketing the higher number of token|
|1 carrommen = 1 point, Queen = 3 points||Token value = points earned|
|Players get an additional turn if they pocket the token||There is no additional move even if a player pockets the token|
|There is a foul if the striker is pocketed||There is no foul if the Striker is pocketed|
|Win the game by pocketing all your carrommen||Win the game by earning maximum points|