Did you know there are around 765 different outcomes for tic tac toe? Although the tic tac toe rules are simple and straightforward, if you think that you have mastered it all, think again. The ease of playing the game can deceive you and make you overconfident. So, to win the game you should know some tricks and strategies.
In this article, you will learn how to win Tic Tac Toe by applying various tricks and strategies.
Tic Tac Toe strategy for beginners
You should be aware that this game is a so-called solved game. So, that means it’s already solved, and you can employ a single and definite strategy to win the game each time. If both players adopt that same strategy each time, the result will be a draw.
So, if you are a new player, you should concentrate on the following:
- You should always claim a corner position every time you go in first.
- If you are starting second, you should claim the center spot if the other player has not already done
- You should always play according to the strategy.
- You will mostly encounter a block, a win, or you can set it up for a win the next time.
These are just a few of the Tic Tac Toe tricks that you can avail yourself of. However, these are not all. You will come across several more as you venture into the game. You need to remember that it may be challenging to win the game if you go in second. Moreover, winning may seem impossible unless your opponent makes a mistake. If you are smart enough, you might end up in a draw.
You should remember that you cannot win the game every time. The board is small, and there are numerous placements. So, it can be tricky as you go.
How to win Tic Tac Toe?
If you go in second, it is still possible to win the game. It is especially true if your opponent is unaware of the strategies. You can also bring it to a draw if your opponent is unaware of the Tic Tac Toe tricks.
Here you can read the best strategy if you are going in second:
- If your opponent knows how to play the game according to the strategy, they will simply play the moves. You will find them starting from the center point or one corner. In that case, they will continue to perform the moves you planned to implement. So, you have significantly less choice but only to make it a draw.
- If you face a scenario where your opponent does not know anything about the Tic Tac Toe strategy, they may still choose to play from the center or the corner. You can win the game if they make any errors after that. You have to be very vigilant while they play to catch them making mistakes.
- In another scenario, the opponent may play their first moves from the sides. Then, you have a chance to win. After your opponent has taken the side square, you should choose the center square. Now, your win depends on the moves that your opponent makes. If they continue to take the moves along the same lines and create an entire row, or column, you should try to take the corners. If your opponent fails to block your moves, you will move on the next turn.
You have to remember that your opponent has to make at least two errors throughout the game. It can be a rare case, as most people know the game’s rules. So, the maximum that you can do is to force a tie.
Tic Tac Toe tricks to never lose
You will notice that some players always want to win. So, you should be concentrating more on forcing a tie. You have to be aware of the standard blocking strategy to force a connection.
Here are a few strategies that will help you make it a draw:
- If you tend to play first, forcing a tie is easy. You have to watch your opponent and try to force a draw. Losing the game is almost impossible if you play first with all the strategies handy.
- When you start second, your ultimate goal is to force a tie. Your opponent needs to make many mistakes if you want them to lose. You can certainly reach a tie if you can block the corner piece and stop your opponent from occupying three positions in a row.
- If you play second and the first player takes center in the last scenario, your first move should be to occupy the corner. You have to focus on blocking the first player mainly.
How to Win Tic Tac Toe most of the time?
There is no guarantee that it will help you win the game every time you play. There can be three results, a win, defeat, or a draw. It is primarily dependent on your interaction with the opponent. A tie is most likely if you play with all the strategies in mind. So, you should always attempt to go first and claim the corner. If you are second, just hope that your opponent makes a mistake. So, the best strategy is blocking if you want to move forward in this game.
Now that you know about the game, you can play it and defeat the opponent. Although there is no way to win the game all the time, knowing these Tic Tac Toe tricks and strategies will help you get the upper hand to win most of the games or at least avoid losing.
Tic Tac toe Tricks – FAQs
Yes. There are various websites that allow you to play Tic Tac Toe online. You can even register online for free and start playing it. Take a look at this article on top websites to play tic tac toe online.
There is no guarantee to win Tic Tac Toe every time you play. There can be three results, a win, defeat, or a draw. It is primarily dependent on your interaction with the opponent. A tie is most likely if you play with all the strategies in mind.
You can play tic tac toe in 4 simple steps:
Step 1 – Draw the Tic Tac Toe board
Step 2 – Decide who goes first
Step 3 – Start the game
Step 4 – Win the game
Read this article to know in detail about how to play tic tac toe.